You have finished and published a book – no small feat – now you want to get it into bookstores. There are a lot of guides out there on how to market yourself, but they may not tell you how inundated independent book shops are with self-published and mainstream author requests.
We have created protocols to help eliminate the magnitude of emails we see regarding authors getting in our store.
Here is a guide to help you determine if reaching out is the right method:
- No walk-ins accepted
- No sales calls
- Do not mail or bring a copy of your book
- If you fail to follow our protocols we will not respond
- We are a small store, our inventory dollars are precious. Unless your book will resonate with our community or tourist base, we will not consider your book.
- Is the book about Estes Park or Rocky Mountain National Park? If, yes, proceed. If, no, thank you for your interest; however, we are a very small store and must choose our inventory wisely based on our shelf space.
- Are you an Estes Park Author (you must live here 8 months of the year)? If, yes keep reading.
- Are you a Colorado Author (you must live in state 8 months of the year)? If, yes continue.
- Is your book readily available? We accept books available on Ingram at 40% or better discount. We accept books provided by mainstream publishers. We do not accept books available through Amazon.
- Is your book available for the industry standard 40% discount or better?
If you answered yes to the above requirements please proceed.
If you answered yes to the above requirements, you may reach out via email.
- All elements of a query letter, as you would send to a traditional publisher.
- Plan ahead – reach out to us 3 to 4 months before your book is available.
- We do not respond to inquiries if we are not interested – do not send multiple emails.
- We will respond within 7 days if we are interested in carrying your book(s).
- We will not respond if you reach out between May and September.
WE DO NOT CARRY CREATESPACE or INGRAM SPARK TITLES (WITHOUT A 40% DISCOUNT), SO IF YOUR BOOK FITS THIS CATEGORY, IT DOES NO GOOD TO SEND US ANYTHING.
WE DO NOT ORDER FROM AMAZON – THEY ARE A COMPETITOR.
Please use the form below to send your query. Thank You.